Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Building and renting out an apartment... A pain!!!

I never thought that buying a property would entail great many headaches. I was of the opinion that the builders were reasonable, kept their word (including the usual delay in handing over) and did a good job of keeping the house according to the specs. I was proved wrong. Our apartment in India was supposed to be handed over Apr 14th, 2007. It is still undergoing final touches. Thanks in part to our woodwork process...ya.. the builder gave bare rooms with not an inch of wood anywhere..let alone wood work!! When I was in India this past December, I had to decide the colour of the woodwork (we chose rosewood) and also chose the color of the walls to be done by the builder. God knows how the woodwork has turned up but I do know that the builder is painting mt walls off-white...then why the heck did he make me come all the way to select colours!!! I wasted a good 4 hrs of my 15 day trip just traveling to and from my house and breaking my head as to which colour i wanted in which room. Apparently, we have to buy them the paint and then they will go ahead and paint the house. @#$%!

That apart, letting the apartment out for lease is also becoming a headache. I had to prepare the ad to be posted (i thought for the local paper), then my f-i-l posted it in a famile members company board!!! I had to persuade him to publish a shortened version of the ad in "The Hindu" and... no responses!! I have taken up the task of posting the ad online in the various real estate sites. Some are under maintenance and some require an Indian mobile phone number to which a verification number would be sent. Am I to disturb my f-i-l at 12.30 a.m IST and ask him for the verification number just to get my ad published?? I know its necessary to keep a check on bogus ads. But it does irk me!!! Ok.. I really need a cool off now!! What better way than to throw myself in the tub?! ;-)

2 Comments:

Blogger Sunitha Arun Bhaskar said...

even though its all that trouble and more..im sure the feeling of owning ur own house at the end of it all makes it all worth it :)

3:14 PM  
Blogger Swetha said...

it does Suni!! hehe

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home