Monday, March 24, 2008

Being a housewife in the U S of A

Recently, I became a full-fledged house wife. I can assure you that it is definitely not the same as being a house wife in India. Being a house wife in India is a much more exciting prospect. (sigh!) I cannot help but feel jealous of my mom. She had and is still having loads of fun in India. Now that her kids are abroad and she is "free" to do whatever she wants, she has a lot of time to do the thing she loves the most...shopping! Needless to say, when one has a visiting relative from US, the shopping spree is like a craze. Oh! did I forget to add the family functions?? Yup! When you have a family as big as mine (on the dads side anyway), you tend to have at least 15 functions in a year. Sadhaabishekam, shastiabdhapoorthi, seemantham, poo chootal, punyojanam, aayush homam.. the list goes on. This April is my nephews (cousin's son) Aayush Homam. My mom and aunt are busy shopping and having fun with the grandchildren in the family.

Being a housewife here means, getting up as late as i want to (the limit is 9.00 a.m!), doing things as I please and when I please, spending a lot of time on the internet, watching tv, reading late into the night, cooking in the evenings. This was relaxing once I quit my job but now, I am becoming a bit bored. Thanks to my hubby's MBA classes twice a week, he comes home at 10.30 pm!! Now, those 2 days are even more excruciating. I thought of going back to work. But it will be the same old story of being busy the whole week and being tired the weekends and home chores piling up! I want to have a balanced work and home life.. (if there exists one). Working part-time is an option, but being immigrants, we need... the wait-till-you-get-frustrated "GREEN CARD". Without that, I am pretty much stuck. I used to go out shopping whenever I wanted groceries or had to pay bills.. but now, the oil prices have sky-rocketed and cut in to my carefree ways. sigh! After grumbling, I take a look at my hubby getting up early to go to work (sometimes as early as 4.30) and then to his MBA classes and I realize that I have no reason to complain. I am happy that my hubby cares so much about me that he wants me to be a housewife and have a relaxed life!!! Love you too, H! :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home